Friday 22 April 2011

I predict a riot!

As many of you in the UK know, Stokes Croft, the area where I live is in the national news today!

I was lucky enough to be included in the blog Handmade Europe (http://handmade-europe.com/2010/07/10/favorite-places-elinart) a while back and was asked to describe where I live. The second photo I chose to describe my area is of the squat where the saga of last evening's riot began. The police went in and arrested four activists which created a disturbance, which in turn gathered a crowd of 300, including myself. After going home, thinking it was all over, the attention of the crowd turned to the new Tesco Express...there has been an ongoing protest to try and prevent Tesco opening this shop in an area where a large number of residents were against it. This Newstatesman article below has used video footage my partner David took during our visit to the epicentre!

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/laurie-penny/2011/04/stokes-croft-police-tesco

No comments: